[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Nov 24 05:51:15 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Sounds crazy, I know. But I'm serious. Looking for your comments at:
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReuniteZope2AndZope3InTheSourceCodeRepository

Some comments after reading this thread:

This may very well be not the right time for this codebase merge to
happen -- there is a lot of resistance. For one, we don't want to lose
Stephan Richter. ;) I do believe however that such a right time very
well may occur at some point in the future.

Jim has repeatedly said that at some point in the future Zope 2 and Zope
3 may become profiles of the same application. I like this vision.

I don't know whether Jim would agree, but in such a situation it would
make sense to me to have both Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the same repository.
You can also turn that around and say it's more likely to happen if they
actually *would* be in the same repository -- that's Philipp's
innovative idea.

I am glad this discussion took place. It makes people's positions more
clear. I believe it's good that Philipp's proposal and this discussion
has prepared people's minds for such a possible future scenario. Maybe
it will never happen. Perhaps we'll have a better alternative. We'll see.

To the Zope 3 developers -- Zope 2 is a major user of your technology
now. Zope 2 developers got a stake in Zope 3. The Zope 2 usecase is at
least as important as that of any other software that uses Zope 3. Zope
2 is also different from the other software -- it's a framework with a
shared community, common roots, and a lot of shared code, and the users
of this framework actively want to evolve towards Zope 3.

Zope 2 developers will therefore become increasingly more visible within
the Zope 3 community. We won't be dropping Zope 2 for Zope 3 easily, as
we can't. We have huge codebases to maintain and to grow, and they're
built on Zope 2. It would make bad business sense to drop them.

We are trying to do something quite difficult -- evolve the Zope 2
codebase, the same codebase some of you are so afraid of, into a
situation where it's closer to Zope 3. All the time we need to keep our
applications up and running. Perhaps appreciate the complexity of this
task for a minute; Zope 3 is not the only impressive software
development activity that takes place in our Zope community...

I think we have a lot to offer. Some support would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Martijn