[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source coderepository

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Nov 24 08:00:22 EST 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 05:36, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I don't think that threats to leave and portrayals of utter doom are a
> fair way to discuss this, Stephan. I must say I find it extremely ironic
> to hear from you that stalling Zope 3 for several months is a death blow
> to Zope 3 -- where was this sentiment in the past? :)

Note that I don't claim that my leaving would stall the development. I just
use my case as an example. I always consider myself of someone, who accepts a
very high bar for contributing. So, if I think the the bar is too high, my
thinking goes, then others will also conceive it as too high and that causes
the stalling.

Everyone is replaceable, I have learned that in the US. But a certain group
might not as easily be.

> Like it or not, merging the repository or not, you'd better get used to
> the fact that Zope 2 developers are here in your community and that they
> will speak up to let their interests be known. It's in your interest to
> make us happy, actually, as we're working to make Zope 3 a better
> community and a better system.

I know that The Zope 2 people are around. And I try to answer Five questions
on the lsits and on IRC as good as I can. I also have nothing against hearing
the interest of the Zope 2 community. But I am also in a position where I
must protect the interests of the Zope-3-only community as well. And in *my*
opinion, in this particular case the Zope 2 community has a lot to gain at
the expense of the Zope-3-only community. I have outlined my arguments for
that statement in the many E-mails before.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter