[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Nov 24 08:37:17 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

>> People keep telling Zope2 developers that the inclusion of Zope3
>> doesn't mean you have to touch it, if you don't use it it is just
>> inert code that won't cause any change in your Zope2 development  style.
>
> Hee hee.  And they believed it?  Do they wanna buy a bridge? ;)
>
> This is an age old argument made when someone wants to add a new
> feature to a development system.  It is patently false.

I recall a slightly different discussion I was involved in. I remember
Zope 2 core developers worrying about the inclusion of Five in Zope 2.8;
they were worried they'd need to maintain its codebase.

The arguments against this were:

* there's a lively development community around Five, don't worry

* Five has a minimal impact on Zope 2; Zope 2 sources itself weren't
changing.

Both were true. I don't think it was claimed that your development style
wouldn't be affected, as obviously we hope people will actually *use*
Five in Zope 2 development.

With Zope 2.9, this story is starting to change, as Zope 3 technology is
making it deeper into Zope 2. Then again, I think the people who worried
then have been becoming more familiar with Five since then, so hopefully
appreciate it more now as a feature, not just as a potential maintenance
burden.

Regards,

Martijn