[Zope-dev] default encoding used in ZPublisher.

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 15:10:21 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:

>> I'd like to backport the change I made to fix:
>> http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1490
>>
>> ...to the 2.8 branch, would anyone have any objections to this?
>
> The 2.8 branch is closed for new features. With the time-based schedule
> new features should appear regularly with new major releases. So only
> bug fixes should go into minor releases.

Well, this is arguably a bug fix and I incorrectly filed it as a new
feature on the trunk.

Yes, it adds a new zope.conf option, and that's why I filed this as a
feature, but this is to fix the fact that the hard coded value has left
me having to patch Zope for customers to get around the fact that it
wrongly encodes strings sent to it by Plone's
PlacelessTranslationService as latin-1. The problem is even worse when
serving XML generated by a ZPT, which is encoded as latin-1 when it
REALLY should be encoded as utf-8... (See Tres' email from earlier this
evening)

Especially given the near zero risk of this bug (about 6 lines of code
changed, and about 7 added) and the 100% backwards compatability (if the
new zope.conf option is not included in zope.conf, the default is used
and the default is identical to what it was: latin-1), I'd really like
to merge this to the 2.8 branch in time for the 2.8.2 release...

Can anyone give me any good reasons not to? ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk