[Zope-dev] What from zope.app are you using

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Apr 6 10:47:38 EDT 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>>we don't really want to ship all of zope.app with Zope 2. zope.app is
>>>supposed to be the Zope 3 application server. It shouldn't be included
>>>in Zope 2, especially since it requires twisted and such.
>>
>>I'm worried about this approach, as it stops the Five project from
>>exposing more Zope 3 functionality into Zope 2 directly, instead having
>>to wait for a new release of Zope 2 that includes the missing bits.
>

> That's why I want to make sure that we include as much of zope.app in
> Zope 2. But I'm just one man so I tried to focus on current usage. I'm
> sure we all want to use as much as possible from Zope 3 in our Zope 2
> projects in the future, but we have to draw the line for this release.
> The freeze is 3 weeks away.
>
> I'm aware that we might not get it all done for Zope 2.10. That's ok, we
> can phase out Zope 2's zope.app usage over a longer time.

Okay, that's fine, as long as we're clear that zope.app will still be
part of Zope 2.10.

>>I'd therefore recommend an approach that includes as much of zope.app
>>into Zope 2 as is possible, while leaving out the obvious bits that
>>shouldn't be there, like Twisted.
>

> Then what's the point of zope.app at all? You're almost sounding like
> you want to move everything in zope.* to zope.app.

Sorry, I was unclear. zope.app getting smaller good. Leaving zope.app
out of Zope 2 in the next Zope 2 release, bad. There's a lot of stuff in
zope.app that a lot of projects are using, and we may break stuff
significantly if code is suddenly not there anymore.

[snip arguing against putting lots of stuff in zope.app]

I'm not arguing in favor of zope.app, I'm just arguing in favor of
keeping zope.app included into Zope 2 releases for the time being, until
we're a lot further with this process of moving things out of zope.app.

Regards,

Martijn