[Zope-dev] Re: What from zope.app are you using

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Apr 6 11:45:23 EDT 2006

yuppie wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> yuppie wrote:
>>> And CMF uses zope.app.locales.extract. Not in the CMF products, but for
>>> a script that extracts i18n messages. That script is a quick hack and
>>> zope.app.locales.extract isn't really made for reuse. But it contains
>>> some useful code.
>>
>> You're quite right. We should probably just move the whole
>> zope.app.locales package. Perhaps to zope.translations?
>>
>> Perhaps it would also make sense to put the extractor and the ZCML
>> directive handler for i18n:registerTranslations into zope.i18n and have
>> zope.translations just contain the gettext files.
>
> Sounds good to me. At least if someone finds time to refactor the
> extractor. For now it is quite specific code for creating the zope
> gettext files and would better fit in zope.translations.

On second thought, I think we should think about the zope.app.locales
vs. zope.translation thing a bit harder. I don't think we should move it
now.

As for the extractor: it can very well be used for other projects than
Zope 3. As you said, you guys are using it for the CMF. I would
therefore still suggest moving it to zope.i18n.

Philipp