[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.9.3 release

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 21 02:43:50 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote at 2006-4-19 15:30 -0400:
> >> Is Alec's traversal patch or Dieter's alternative being considered?
> >
> >I'll note that I have a client who can't move forward from 2.9.1 to
> >2.9.3 because the changes to traversal semantics in that release break
> >every view lookup in the application (which was originally built on
> >2.8.x, and works fine on 2.9.1.
>
> I would like to stress that "my alternative" does not change traversal
> semantics but provides a way for "knowing" component's
> "__bobo_traverse__" to tell the enclosing framework that
> "__bobo_traverse__" wants to use the default (and not do anything special).
> Nothing is changed until a given component uses the feature.

And I'll stress that my change doesn't change traversal behavior
either for any case that didn't emit  and Unauthorized error
previously.  It is also completely compatible with Dieter's proposal,
which is worthwhile because it could allow many existing
__bobo_traverse__ methods to be greatly simplified.  I've applied my
patch to 2.8, 2.9, and trunk because a Zope release appears to be
imminent, and there's no way we can release a new Plone until we have
a Zope/Five which can handle acquisition properly (I'm pretty sure
that this will bite other projects as well).

Alec