[Zope-dev] Branches finished for merging.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 13:14:43 EDT 2006

I have (at least) two branches that will be merged before The Big
Freeze on monday, if all goes well, and unless somebody has any very
serious objections.

1. easter-sprint_traversal-refactor

This was done by me an Micheal Kerrin during last weeks Sprint here in
Paris. It involves a backwards compatible refactoring of the Zope2
publishing traversal. It will for special traversing of names and for
default publishing traversal now use an
IBrowserPublisher adapter.

Objects wishing to override the default traversal would earlier have
has a special __bobo_traverse__ method. They should now instead
provide an IPublishTraversal adapter (or IBrowserPublisher, which
extends IPublishTraversal). For backwards compatibility, any object
that does not use an adapter will get a default adapter that tries to
use __bobo_traverse__.

Objects wishing to provide a special default name would easlier have a
special __browser_default__ method. They should now intead provide an
IPublishTraversal adapter. For backwards compatibility, any object
that does not use an adapter will get a default adapter that tries to
use __browser_default__.

I also recommend that we deprecate both __bobo_traverse__ and
__browser_default__, but perhaps with a longer derecation period that
usual, since this are very basic techniques used in many products.
Please discuss. :)

2. regebro-wsgi_refactor

The work Michael and I did last week also included an effort to finish
Sidnei da Silvas publication traversal branch, that attempts to
replace ZPublisher with zope.publisher and ZServer with twisted.
Trying to finish that work, I grew restless with the tight integration
between all the modules, and have therefore tries to pry ZPublisher
and ZServer apart, but wedging WSGI in between them. The modules are
not 100% separated as the ZPublisher still imports some modules from
the ZServer and the other way around, but there is now a WSGI
application class that should be callable from any WSGI server. I
propose to check this in to make it possible to use twisted with
Zope2, even though we may not have time to include the twisted server
in the release.

Comments?