[Zope-dev] Help! Need to extract files out of Data.fs!

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 28 16:33:11 EDT 2006

Kris,

I assume you have a backup of the Data.fs.  If you do, nothing is really
lost.

Have you compressed the Data.fs?  There is an option in the control panel
to do this.  I can be run on a live machine, but you may not want to do so
given the size of stuff.  I'd do it on a quiet machine.  This will
remove any cruft you have in the Data.fs and will improve your speed of
access somewhat,  Things are probably slow because of swapping.  Reducing
the size of Data.fs may speed things up.

Take a look at the documentation for the ZODB (Google is your friend).
You could write a program in Python to simply open the ZODB and extract
the files you need.  It might save a bit of overhead.

Remember 1.3TB is a large file and is going to take some time to process
no matter what.