[Zope-dev] Re: Deprecating Zope 2 interfaces?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Feb 22 13:25:52 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think it will make much sense to keep Zope 2 interfaces around
>>> for more than one year from now. In other words, I'm suggesting to
>>> deprecate them for Zope 2.10.
>>

>> +10
>

> Me too ;-)

Great. There don't seem to be any objections, they would have been
communicated by now otherwise. I take the silence so far as assent or
indifference. All in all it means I think we can go a head and really do
deprecate Zope 2 interfaces.

>> 1.) WriteLock: Objects are only lockable if their class has
>> WriteLockInterface in its __implements__ list.
>>
>> 2.) PluggableIndex: Indexes for ZCatalog have to be registered in
>> Products.meta_types with PluggableIndexInterface.
>>
>> 3.) IFAwareObjectManager and the 'interfaces' argument of
>> ObjectManager.all_meta_types: The mechanism used for pluggable indexes
>> has a generic implementation in ObjectManager and can be used by any
>> subclass of IFAwareObjectManager.
>
> I think these can safely swapped... ie: no non-zope-core code actually
> does anything with these interfaces...

That's a bold assumption. I'm not willing to take the risk, especially
if the BBB-aware code is pretty straight-forward.

Philipp