[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Two visions

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Feb 28 18:44:19 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:33:05 -0000, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com>
wrote:

> I don't see how *saying* what Zope 5 will contain will make it *exist*
> any time sooner. These sound like useful evolution proposals for Zope 2
> and Zope 3 to me...
>
> The current story of Zope 2, Five and Zope 3 gets us in the right
> direction (Zope 5, if you want to call it that, though I would
> definitely want to introduce yet another name in the mix), step by step.
> We don't promise too much to people. We don't raise the wrong
> expecations anymore. Everyone in the community is on board.
>
> We are already doing the work that's required to reach the ideal of
> "Zope 5". You could rename Zope 2.10 to Zope 5.0, but I don't see what
> good that would do except to confuse people. It won't contain the
> features you list unless someone actually does all that work. The
> alternative is to put Zope 5 in the nebulous future when all the work
> you list is done, and it'll be just like our mythical "Zope 3 without
> the X" then - confusing people and raising the wrong expectations.

Martijn,

I think you make a very sobering point. It's important to be a little
careful with what you promise, and to keep a clear story for the more
peripheral community and to outsiders.

Zope 3 has, it seems, always been driven by a desire to make the perfect
framework. In many ways, that's good, and the result to date is very
beautiful. It's important to keep some ties to the real world, the
applications people deploy on, systems like CPS and Plone and Silva, and
not tempt them to too many false starts or with false promises that leaves
them waiting forever.

A vision is good. Commitment to that vision is even better. Just be
careful what you promise. :)

Martin

--
(muted)