[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Thu Jan 5 11:44:48 EST 2006

--On 5. Januar 2006 17:36:45 +0100 Florent Guillaume <fg at nuxeo.com> wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> ToDo: in-place conversion of persistent ZPT instance through setstate()
>> or so...
>
> Could we avoid doing things in __setstate__ please? It imposes a runtime
> cost that doesn't disappear.
>
> I'd rather have a one-time update method that trawls the database, like
> is done for Python Scripts recompiling for instance. Or I can call it
> myself in my upgrade procedures on the exact objects I know will need
> updates.

I've implemented the setstate() variant as proof-of-concept. I am not sure
if there is overhead for CMF-based sites since they FSPageTemplates inherit
from PageTemplateFile which has nothing in mind with persistence. So only
persistent ZopePageTemplate would be affected. If there is need for a
dedicated migration we could easily write one..that's the lamest task of
the whole ZPT unicode issue :-)

-aj