[Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Jan 13 07:25:19 EST 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Thoughts?

All these changes seem to be the right thing. This will make unicode
life in Zope a lot easier.

I worry about backward compatibility though.

Some code (such as PlacelessTranslationService) is doing wild things
like monkeypatching the ZPT engine so that incoming unicode is encoded
into UTF-8 during page template execution. I.e. the principle is quite
different from that of Zope 2 itself, where the publisher takes care of
translating things into an encoded string upon output. Since Silva
doesn't use PTS anymore I don't worry about this, but Plone developers
might.

Changing the default encoding of Zope to UTF-8 might break a lot of
assumptions in people's code.

What about input? If I have an input form, browsers tend to submit in
the encoding that the form as in, for instance UTF-8. This means I get
UTF-8 strings into my request.

Now, if I have code that takes something from that request and displays
it in a unicode page template, you'd have a problem, as you'd be mixing
UTF-8 with unicode there. Again this might result in a lot of broken code.

Regards,

Martijn