[Zope-dev] Re: Seeking brave souls to try Zope 2.9 Windows installer

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:03:09 EST 2006

[Lennart Regebro]
> Only one real "bug": No user is created (even though you type in name
> and password).

Sorry, I'm not following this.  The installer never offers to create a
user (although it does ask you to supply a password for the fixed
"admin" user).  So you must be talking about something else, but I
don't know what.  For example, when logged in to the installed Zope as
"admin", I had no problems creating new users from the acl_users
thingie.

> And of course zopectl doesn't work, so zopectl adduser
> is out of the question. Luckily creating an inituser still works! :-)
>
> Also, installing the shell files runzope and zopectl is kinda
> pointless.

I'm sure the Zope 2.8 (etc) Windows installers did the same here.
This is controlled by the content of the top-level (in a Zope
checkout) skel/ directory:

C:\Code\Zope2.9>dir/b skel\bin
runzope.bat.in
runzope.in
zopectl.in
zopeservice.py.in

So (exactly) those 4 things (without the ".in" suffix) get created in
an instance home's bin/ directory, regardless of platform.

Someone may wish to change Zope's utilities/mkzopeinstance.py to do
different things on different platforms, but that's out of scope for
this little project (which makes changes only under Zope's
inst/WinBuilders/:  the Windows installer-builder code).

> Minor, I know, but it means you have to typetab twice when
> tab expanding to run runzope in from a commandline. ;-)

?  Assuming you're running a native Windows NT+ shell (cmd.exe), you
set tab as your file completion character, and you're using NTFS as
the filesystem (so that tab completion suggests possibilities in
alphabetical order), then the sequence

    r TAB

in an instance's bin directory completes to

    runzope

and that's what you want. That doesn't actually run the file named
"runzope", it actually runs the file named "runzope.bat" on Windows.
I'm starting to suspect you don't normally use Windows, Lennart ;-)  I
certainly agree there's no _reason_ to create the "runzope" file to
begin with on Windows (except perhaps to keep mkzopeinstance.py
simple), but it doesn't actually get in the way of using tab
completion.

> When you run the instance creation you get a commandline, but you have
> no idea where the current directory is, so if you just type in a
> relative path, you don't know where the directory was created. (Turns
> out it's in C:\Documents And Settings\<username>\ )

I'm sure all earlier Zope Windows installers created stuff that did
the same here too.  If that isn't wanted, then Zope's
utilities/mkzopeinstance.py is again the thing that would need to be
changed.

> That's it so far! Great job!

Thank you for trying it!  I'm just relieved it didn't melt your hard drive ;-)