[Zope-dev] Deprecation process issues

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jan 16 13:08:31 EST 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:

> I've noticed a couple of problems with recent deprecation decisions (for
> OFS.content_types and zLOG).  The major one is that the deprecation
> warning waw added without removing the code in the core which depends on
> the deprecated feature.  The most obvious sign of this is that the tests
> no longer "run clean", but are cluttered up with warning output.
>
> Another issue is that at least one of those choices (the zLOG one)
> seemed to land without accounting for the legitimate use cases which the
> new "blessed" method doesn't address (e.g, logging levels not offered by
> the standard 'logging' module).
>
> I'm about to check in changes which clean out the use of
> OFS.content_types, but am less willing to clean up the zLOG uses until
> the other use cases are addressed.

I haven't been following these issues, counting on y'all to figure it out. :)

I'll just note that:

- I agree with your point about deprecation warnings.  IOW
   we should not check in new deprecation warnings on the trunk
   that cause warnings to be output when running the standard tests.
   We should correct any code that needs to be updated first.
   (Personally, I add the deprecation warning, making sure that I
   get the expected warnings, and then I make the warnings go away.)

- I think that dropping functionality should be considered carefully.
   I'm inclined to accept your judgement that the use cases need to be
   addressed.

Of course, we do want to move away from zLOG, as we want to leverage
the standard logging framework.

Jim