[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] December release post-mortem

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 13:41:46 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I think we should investigate eggs.  Do I know they will work? No.  I
> haven't done much with them yet. Do you know they won't? Obviously not.
> I suggest we reserve jusdgement until we have had an opportunity for
> some prototyping.  Based on what I've seen so far, I'm very hopeful.
> And then there's the fact that they come from a much wider community
> than just Zope.

I have to admit to being very interested in eggs myself. I like the idea
of zope being a collection of independent packages with their own
release schedules - breaking down the "monolithic release" problem.

I think Zope 3 has done extremely well with all this so far. Personally,
I've used Zope 3s' ZPT and testbrowser packages in contexts that have
nothing to do with Zope 3 (or even Zope sometimes) and liked the feel of it.

I wasn't away the same was true for zope.testing but I'm very glad to
hear it.

On a side note, I see python now includes doctest.py, why are we still
maintaining our own copy in zope.testing?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk