[Zope-dev] 2.9.4? reStructuredText support?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Jul 8 15:06:38 EDT 2006

--On 8. Juli 2006 14:42:31 -0400 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

>> This can happen all the time. A problem in the release process does
>> not justify the removal of a feature until we tried our best to
>> solve the problem. Use the sledge hammer as a last resort.
>
> The problem in the release process was an inattention to
> basic process.  This is unacceptable in a security-related issue.

This can happen all the time, it should not happen..but it happened
(likely because the private emails around this issue caused a lot of trouble
and noise).

>>> That doesn't deserve an answer.
>>
>> Sorry for being harsh but the lack of tests after two days is
>> really not
>> appropriate approach.
>
> Who said anything about 2 days.  I said we need tests and
> we need someone to be responsible for this feature or we'll have to drop
> the feature.  I didn't say we had to drop it right this second.

It sounded to me that way..

>>> Yes, it really is the point.
>>
>> No, it is not. I haven't worked on the hotfix...so why would it be
>> up to me
>> write tests?
>
> It's not.  The person who *did* write the hot-fix didn't want the
> feature in the first place.  Tres stepped up and helped us in an
> emergency. I imagine that he isn't signing up to maintaint the feature.

When you talk of "the feature"...you mean file inclusion? This feature was
not supposed to be there. It was never a goal of reST to provide this
feature. So Tres' solution (removing the code) is perfectly fine.

There are a lot of modules where we don't want to take over the maintainer.
The important thing is that we have clever ppl who understand the code and
can deal with such problems in such a case.

> The problem is that we have a feature with an implementation that is  a
> security risk.  We have a feature that doesn't seem to have a  champion
> -- because no one is willing to come forward and maintain it  properly.
> In that case, the feature is orphaned and we have to get  rid of it.  It
> is too risky to keep it under the circumstances.
>
> I'm perfectly willing to keep it if someone takes responsibility.   That
> hasn't happened yet.

See above...it's not a question of general responsibility...it's a question
of taking over the responsibility for a particular problem in particular
situation...of course maintainers for modules are highly welcome...things
are as they are in the Zope 2 world...

Andreas