[Zope-dev] Re: Re: [Checkins] SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/lib/python/ Replace bulk of uses of 'zLOG' with equivalent Python 'logging' module usage.

Rob Miller robm at openplans.org
Tue Jul 11 01:15:30 EDT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:59:49 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> --On 25. Juni 2006 16:32:04 +0200 "Stefan H. Holek" <stefan at epy.co.at>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This, BTW, breaks CMF 1.5 on Zope 2.9. Not sure I/you should care
>>> though ;-)
>>>
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>    File "/home/stefan/autotest/temp/python24-zope29-cmf15/Products/
>>> CMFActionIcons/__init__.py", line 19, in ?
>>>      from Products.CMFCore.DirectoryView import registerDirectory
>>>    File "/home/stefan/autotest/temp/python24-zope29-cmf15/Products/
>>> CMFCore/__init__.py", line 21, in ?
>>>      import MembershipTool, WorkflowTool, CatalogTool, DiscussionTool
>>>    File "/home/stefan/autotest/temp/python24-zope29-cmf15/Products/
>>> CMFCore/CatalogTool.py", line 23, in ?
>>>      from Products.ZCatalog.ZCatalog import LOG
>>> ImportError: cannot import name LOG
>>>

>> Tres,
>>
>> you replace all 'LOG' vars with 'logger'. Is there a reason for this
>> replacement? We've been using LOG through out the complete Z2 core..we
>> should remain consistent in some way.
>
> Hmm, the API of the logger objects is not consisistent with the old log
> objects.  I don't know why CMF is importing that name from the catalog,
> but I guess we need to leave it there for BBB.

as it turns out, ZCatalog originally had "from zLOG import LOG" on line 37
but then redefined in a "LOG = logging.getLogger('Zope.ZCatalog')"
statement on line 47; when other products import from ZCatalog it was the
second one they were getting, not the first.

i changed tres's BBB fix to reflect the actual (if strange) former
behaviour.

-r