[Zope-dev] Re: OFS.Application deprecations for Zope 2.10

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Wed Jun 14 16:48:46 EDT 2006

On 14 Jun 2006, at 22:06, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Florent Guillaume wrote at 2006-6-13 22:13 +0200:
>> Yes but the deprecation has been there for a while, and the third
>> party product developers have been ignoring the warning. Their loss.
>
> Interestingly, it is usually not the loss for the third party product
> developers (as they usually gain nothing from their products) --
> but for the people using the product.

When users repeatedly bitch to the developer because a product
doesn't work with a newer Zope version, it's a loss of time for the
developer. He would have gained time by doing the correction in
advance of the users discovering the problem.

> Personally, I will simply blame Zope when one of my products
> breaks for some stupid BBB incompatibility (such as removing
> "zLOG" or "methods" support in initialization modules) introduced
> by some Zope release.
>
> I will fix them only, when I myself upgrade to a newer Zope
> and hit the problems (only then, I can reproduce the problem
> and check that the fix really fixes).
> I am slowly upgrading (still using Zope 2.8).
> Unlike Nuxeo, I do not get money (or other rewards)
> for keeping my products in sync with the current Zope releases.

Nuxeo isn't getting money from using Zope 2.10, for instance, it's
just that we believe that any improvements is worth putting back into
Zope itself (if only so that maintenance is shared and peer-reviewed)
and not kept in our own tree. Being interested in improving the
framework means that we have to work with it, and it's better to work
with something clean than with something that has accumulated years
and years of cruft. So we're interested in cleaning up the framework.
This means deprecating broken, old or dirty stuff at some point.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com