[Zope-dev] Re: Time-based releases a good idea?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jun 15 03:28:28 EDT 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> Well, ignoring the confusion about zLOG, updating things for a new
>>> version of Zope with deprecation warnings is not much work. Honestly.
>>> You update to the new version, look at the depracation warnings, and
>>> do search/replace until they go away.
>>>
>>> Unless their are compatibility bugs, and that will happen sometimes,
>>> that's it.
>>>
>>> I don't remember exactly how long it took to go to 2.9 for CPS, but it
>>> wasn't very much work, and it was all related to changes in Five,
>>> which you don't seem to use or worry about.
>
> Bzzt.  Five is a *major* culprit for us (Chris and I are often working
> together).  The "lookup order" BBB foul in 2.9.2 is one of the major
> reasons for sticking to 2.8.

I think we've been over this. It's not really a BBB foul because I
classified it as a bug when I found out about the issue
(http://codespeak.net/pipermail/z3-five/2006q1/001186.html). The
rationale behind this thinking is being closer to Zope 3's behaviour
where folder/foo would first look up the 'foo' item in the folder, then
the @@foo view.

I think we've also come to an agreement to make this pluggable. I don't
remember anything happening, though. For all I care, we can go back to
the old behaviour with the only exception that ObjectManagers are
traversed attributes-first-views-later. Views should not shadow
contained items.

Philipp