[Zope-dev] Time-based releases a good idea?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 04:21:11 EDT 2006

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> Yes, the 6 month cycle is very short. All of a sudden we have a
> situation where a whole slew of releases/branches is out there (2.7,
> 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, trunk)

Indeed, this seems to be purely an artifact of time-based releases. I'm
sure I'm not the only one who routinely has projects that see no
maintenance for over a year, and doesn't like moving major zope versions
without a compelling reason. The hops most of my projects seemed to have
made are 2.5->2.6-->2.7->2.9, but I'm only just getting onto 2.9 and
people are talking about 2.11 already. So, that means if I want to fix a
bug for one of my non-moved projects, I need to patch the 2.7, 2.8, 2.9,
2.10 and 2.11 branches, as well as the trunk.

Anyone else think that's completely insane?!

>>> For me, the fact that Zope 2.9.3 still emits
>>> deprecation warnings on a fresh install (zLOG...) is a pretty bad sign.
>
> I think this is a dead horse now. Some things were deprecated without
> actually converting all instances where the deprecated code was in use.
> It's in your power to do something about it, go ahead.

Yeah, I have been, but I've hit exactly the problem described above. I
fixed one chunk of zLOG warning on 2.9, and found they'd been fixed by
someone else on the trunk in a different fashion. Pretty annoying :-(

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk