[Zope-dev] Flood of deprecation warnings...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 09:17:26 EDT 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:47:13AM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
>>> I think that's the sanest policy.  So it's OK if "bullshit" gets
>>> called on people putting deprecation warnings into any  .1, .2, etc
>>> through .9 releases, then?  This seems like the only thing that can
>>> work.  We can't expect people to upgrade to stable point releases
>>> (e.g. 2.8.5 from 2.8.4 or earlier) just to be able to see
>>> deprecation  warnings.
>>
>> That makes perfect sense to me.
>> +1 to no new deprecation warnings in stable third-dot releases.
>
> +1 to that too. No new deprecation warnings outside feature releases.

+ 1 too.

One of my other bugbears is that a flood of deprecation warnings often
masks real problems.

How would people feel about the default zope.conf hiding all deprecation
warning?

Product authors should switch them on for their products, which they
control, and they should need to worry about.

This also applies for project-specific code.

This seems a better place to me than the current default behaviour of
"there's loads of these being spewed out, so I'll just ignore 'em all"
which misses out on the last 2 things I mentioned above...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk