[Zope-dev] Re: characters allowed in object IDs

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Mar 10 14:20:00 EST 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> yuppie wrote at 2006-3-10 12:14 +0100:
>> As of Zope 2.8.2 (http://svn.zope.org/?rev=38738&view=rev) the '@'
>> character is allowed in object IDs.
>>
>> Zope 3 does not allow object IDs starting with '@' because those names
>> are reserved for views.
>>
>> Five makes Zope 3 style views available in Zope 2, so IDs starting with
>> '@' should be disallowed in Zope 2 as well.
>>
>> If there are no objections I'll fix that in Zope 2.8, 2.9 and trunk.
>
> To support WebDAV as widely as possible, I would prefer to
> get rid of all id restrictions. I do not like to see
> new restrictions emerging...

You just don't like it or do you know a better alternative?

We need a way to make sure that object IDs can't mask browser views and
resources. The current solution in Zope 3 is to reserve names starting
with '+' and '@' for resources and views.

Compared to Zope 2.8.1 and earlier this is no new restriction.

Cheers, Yuppie