[Zope-dev] PDBDebugMode 0.1 Release

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Mon Mar 13 14:31:29 EST 2006

http://www.zope.org/Members/rossp/PDBDebugMode

PDBDebugMode - PDB post-mortem debugging on exceptions when debug-mode=on

If a relevant error log object is found, exceptions included in the
error log's ignored exception types will be ignored and the debugger
won't be invoked.

It also enables the import of the pdb module in unprotected code.

On encountering an error, the port-mortem debugger is invoked with the
error's traceback.  Once in the debugger you can examine objects,
variables, etc. at all levels of the call stack.  This is, of course,
extremely useful for debugging.

Since it only does anything if the instance is running with
debug-mode=on, I find this product useful not only for debugging on my
development instances, but also for doing quick emergency debugging on
a live production site.  IOW, if the problem is only reproducable on
the production site but not on my development instance, I'll restart
the production instance in debug-mode with pdb in emacs, reproduce the
error, inspect the call stack.

Ross Patterson