[Zope-dev] Deprecating XML export/import?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Mar 24 10:44:23 EST 2006

Zope supports the export of content either through Python pickles (.zexp)
or as XML. Unfortunatly the XML export/import has several problems:

 - the generated XML is pretty much too low-level to use it e.g.
   for migration issues

 - it was broken multiple times in the past, it still has problems

 - it has no maintainer, nobody wants to touch it without gloves

I propose to deprecate XML export/import for Zope 2.10 and to remove it in
Zope 2.12. We don't loose any functionality since .zexp is working fine. I
don't know of any active projects/code that really uses XML export/import.

Comments?

Andreas