[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/ajung-zpt-end-game/lib/python/Products/PageTemplates/Expressions.py Officially deprecate the BBB methods on the iterator and add a note

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon May 22 16:29:24 EDT 2006

Tres Seaver wrote:

>>> I'll add nonetheless that neither 'first' nor 'last' nor 'nextIndex' are
>>> required by the ZPT spec
>>> (http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/RepeatVariable). Hence,
>>> Zope 3 just doesn't have them. I can still see a use case for 'first'
>>> and 'last' which is why I'll do my best to continue to support them.
>
> This is a case for *expanding* what Z3 has:

and expanding the spec...

> it isn't "right by default", you know, especially when it comes to
> pieces of Z2 technology which it has forked.

Oh, I know. That's why I was actually going back to the spec since
that's what counts at the end of day.

> For instance, I know of several DTML fixes done since Z3 forked off
> zope.documenttemplate: they should be "forward-ported", but may
> languish due to lack of care.

You're comparing apples and oranges. DTML was maintained in Zope 2 and
never really needed in Zope 3. ZPT on the other hand was mostly
maintained in Zope 3. Plus, the goal is to use the Zope 3 implementation
everywhere so there must be some advantages in the Zope 3 implementation
over the Zope 2 one... otherwise we wouldn't be doing this...

> ZPT is different:  is has been in heavy production use, with *lots* more
> attention to "real world" use cases than the Z3 version would have
> gotten until only recently.  Let's use some caution about harmonizing
> the two.

Sure. That's why I'm discussing these things here...

Philipp