[Zope-dev] Re: Windows Installer Nice-to-have

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Nov 11 03:10:39 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> I don't know how easy this is to do, but one thing that would be
> _really_ nice would be to use an existing compatible python install
> rather than Zope splatting it's own in regardless.

-1

That's what Zope 3 does (it's a standard distutils installer). It makes
it hard to install several Zope 3 versions at the same time. Or perhaps
that's just because it install itself into site-packages?

Anyway, I would rather see the Zope installer to be self-contained wrt
Python. In fact, I also wish that the Zope 2 and 3 installers were the
same so that we'd only have to maintain and support one installation
scheme. I don't particularly care about the paths. I think the
politically correct destination is Program Files, though it is quite
annoying for the shell due to the space.