[Zope-dev] [SVN-externals] tags vs. branches

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Oct 3 03:52:28 EDT 2006

Hi all,

while working on the Zope trunk I figured out that the trunk contains
svn:externals both to Zope 3 tags and Zope 3 branches. This mixture is
insane. I propose the following for the future:

 - the svn:externals on the trunk should point to the latest release
branches (Zope 3, ZODB etc.) or dedicated development branches that will be
   used for the next release

 - when we creating a new release branch (for preparing a new major)
   release we change the svn:externals to the latest branches that
   will be used for the next release. Pre-Zope 2.11.0 releases
   would refer to the Zope3/branches/3.4

 - for release branches (after the .0 release) we point the svn:externals
   to latest tagged releases of a particular package. Versions > Zope 2.11.0
   would refer to Zope3/tags/3.4.X (which is already the case).

Comments?

Andreas