[Zope-dev] I am starting to hate Zope/Plone development and its bl**dy lack of refresh.

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Mon Sep 4 06:55:10 EDT 2006

Back in the olden days Zope developments was tiresome. You did a change
in your source file, and you needed to restart Zope to see the change.

Then a 'refresh' option was made, and products would get automatically
refreshed when a change was made. Sweet times.

But doing development in Plone has become increasingly tiring since Zope
2.8 and up.

Refresh no longer works, and the old "debug, correct, restart" cycle is
back.

Only this time a software stack the size a skyscrapers has to be loaded.
Making it even slower than in the old Zope days.

I am developing on a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine with 1 GB of ram. A slow
machine by modern standards, I know. But it has been fast enough for
everything so far. Just not for modern Plone development!

A restart of Plone 2.5 - (Zope 2.8.6-final, python 2.3.5, win32) takes
46 seconds on this machine. For every little change. And it is driving
me crazy.

If I install zeo I can cut it down to 40 seconds :-s

I am not sure what is causing the problems. I am mostly a developer of
end user tools. Not a core Zope/Plone developer. And I am not really
interested in becoming one either. There must be a niche for developers
like me that focus on end users.

I love Python because development/testing is so fast. Recompiling code
in Java etc. to see a little chance, is a bad idea to me. But The
Zope/Plone has developed into exactly this. I know that it technically
is two different processes. But for me the end result is the same.

I could try running a zeo client from a usb drive to get a faster
restart, but it takes 20 minute to copy all the files to it.

Does anybody have a clue as to where the problem is? And why aren't
there any more people complaining about it? Is it because I develop on
Windows and am the only one doing so?

What do I have to do to get the sweet sweet refresh working again?

Frustrated regards Max

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/