[Zope-dev] Release schedule for Zope 2.11/3.4?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Sep 12 06:34:27 EDT 2006

--On 12. September 2006 12:28:10 +0200 Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com>
wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote:
>> since we are three month late with the current releas, it would make
>> sense to reschedule Zope 2.11/3.4 for July (or was it June) next yr?!
>>
> Is the reasoning here that since a release cycle has taken 9 months, so
> should the next? I'm not convinced expanding the release cycle is going
> to make us be on time more.

Not really, just a thought in order to stick with the June/December
cycle...but not really an important argument.

>> If we want to stick with the half-yr cycles, we need to schedule the
>> next release for around March/April next yr. Thoughts?
>
> That's one option. The other option is to stick with the plan and catch
> up, as Christian Theune proposed. It would mean getting very unambitious,
> but perhaps that isn't a bad idea. The idea of a release is to have a
> reasonably stable, known-good version of the trunk, and it doesn't matter
> that much how much the trunk changes.
>
> Anyway, if the main thing holding up *this* release is bugfixes, doing a
> new release in 3 months shouldn't be a problem, as after all, we've
> already fixed those bugs this time around. :)

3 month for a new release cycle is just too short. We should not follow the
IMO broken concept of "release early, release often" but to follow "release
regular, release solid". At least me I refuse to release something just for
the sake of making a release at a certain date.

Andreas