[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Release schedule for Zope 2.11/3.4?

Benji York benji at zope.com
Tue Sep 12 12:00:43 EDT 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:
> I am thinking since one hour about how to reply to Benji's proposal. It's
> not much acceptable. Major release have to be planned to a certain degree
> and must be tested (as good as we can) - means we must have alpha and beta
> releases.

I wasn't proposing we do away with alphas or betas.  More concretely: I
was simply wondering aloud about doing "true" time-based releases.  On a
certain date we cut the first alpha, on a certain date we cut the first
beta, etc..  Of course, there must be /some/ flexibility to deal with
ultra-critical bugs, but we already do something similar with how we
treat release candidates.

I believe that the trunk is good enough to produce a release at (almost)
any given time.  If bugs are known and unfixed when we do a release, we
document them (they likely already exist in the previous released
version, so we're not doing any harm there).

Again, this is all from my Zope 3 perspective, I'm not immersed in the
Zope 2 world, so these ideas may not be applicable there.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer