[Zope-dev] Future of ZClasses

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:07:58 EDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
> It's definitely time to work on a replacement.

Yes. And here is my short vision of that. Comments are appreciated.

1. We have a base content class used to create content objects. This
has the concept of type, pretty much like CMFs portal_type. The type
is defined in the ZODB.

2. On the type you can set marker interfaces, that enables adapters
with different functionality, such as indexing awareness, and whatnot.
These adapters are written in diskbased pythons. Hence any type of
basic functionality like this still needs to be disk-based.

3. Each type also has schemas and forms, templates and python scripts
in the ZODB. The schemas and forms are to generate edit and create
forms, the python scripts act like methods on a view, and the
templates as, well, templates.

4. When you then run into a thing you can't do through the web you are
not stuck.
If you want to add new event handler for your type, you can write a
new functionality adapter on disk, and then enable it via marker
interfces for your type. If you python scripts security becomes a
hindrance, you can easily move that to disk by making another marker
interface and building views for that. We could even have a button
"Export to disk module" which exports the current templates + scripts
to a view + methods + templates all on disk.

This combines and easy plug-and-play attitude with TTW programming
without providing a dead end.