[Zope-dev] Re: five.customerize

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Dec 21 06:44:53 EST 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> [snip]
>>> So, what's the plan to clean up this mess? Can the Plone specific
>>> stuff be cleared up from the branches into a Plone-specific package
>>> and a new release be made that works for both Plone and the rest of
>>> the Zope world?
>> I thought it was ... we have five.customerize and then
>> plone.app.customerize for the Plone-specific stuff. I'm not intimately
>> familiar with the code, but you may want to check in with witsch,
>> philiKON and alecm who are.
>
> The current release definitely has dependencies on Plone. Zope doesn't
> even start as it tries to import from Plone. I already talked to
> philiKON and he didn't know. I'm assuming witsch or alecm are subscribed
> to this list so I'll wait for their answer.

I just had a look. The only Plone import I can see is "from
plone.portlets"; now, the plone.portlets package is technically not
Plone-specific (it's not in the plone.app.* namespace - I even know of
people who've used it with Grok!). In this case, we support
customerization of plone.portlets renderers (which are a bit like viewlets).

That said, I suppose this should be either a conditional import or moved
to a higher level altogether.

> It seems to me it's also in the best interest of the Plone developers to
> have this cleaned up, right?

Yeah. The idea is for five.customerize to be generic and
plone.app.customerize to be specific UI for Plone.

Martin