[Zope-dev] undeprecating zLOG

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Feb 1 13:32:23 EST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Andreas Jung wrote:
>> How would a user who got a zLOG import error know they needed to
>> download
>> something unless we leave a stub module and the deprecation
>> warning in
>> forever?  Leaving it in and undeprecating it would allow lots of old
>> products to work without any changes or users needing to download
>> anything.  This would be a win, IMO.  I'm not sure of the goal of
>> deprecating it in the first place.
>
> 0, for keeping zLOG for the time being...
> -1, for undeprecating it. Using Python's logging module should remain
> the only recommended solution. I don't want to see any new code using
> zLOG.

There's a good deal of code using it that we just don't see because
it's "internal-only".  When the API disappears, making people revisit
that code is particularly pointless; it's makework.  OTOH, if the API
is not going to disappear, we should just undeprecate it.

But anyway, all I can do is register my concern, you're gonna do
whatever you do. ;-)

- C