[Zope-dev] RFC: Acquisition and __parent__ pointers

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Jan 25 08:12:38 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> This proposal aims at bringing Zope 2 a bit closer to Zope 3 by making
> the widely used Acquisition API aware of Zope 3's __parent__ pointers.
> This will alleviate the need of using Acquisition base classes in Zope 2
> for every security-sensitive object, be it persistent or just a
> dynamically looked up component such as a view. The goal is to enable
> the use of Zope 3 components in Zope 2 straight away without creating
> subclasses that mix in Acquisition for security's sake.
>
> See http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/AcquisitionAndParentPointers for the full
> proposal. Comments are appreciated. I expect little resistance to this
> as it pretty much doesn't change any existing semantics and just makes
> all of our lives much simpler. Also, if it helps, this has been blessed
> by Jim in discussion at the EuroPython 2006 sprint.

Very strong +1 from me

The biggest pain in my ass when coding for Zope 2 these days is that I want
to use views and I have to understand a lot of detail about how acquisition
works to avoid strange and hard-to-debug errors. If I could stop mixing
Acquisition.Explicit into my views, life would be so much better.

As for the implementation, I gave it my best shot in the
philikon-aq-and-__parent__ branch. My experience with C is limited,
especially when it comes to debugging. Help is therefore highly
appreciated. There's a reward waiting for whoever fixes the problem and
helps getting the branch merged to the trunk (see the proposal text).

I guess this is the challenge. Who wants to code C? :) Who even understand
this code? (looking at people like Jim and Dieter...)

Martin