[Zope-dev] Re: ploneout - Or how using zc.buildout for a common Zope2 project might look like

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Mon Jan 29 19:35:02 EST 2007

whit wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> the main usecase for me is the following... hanno writes a recipe for
>>> plone, and I want to use that recipe as part of setting up a
>>> openplans development environment (for example inside my workingenv
>>> that I've been developing w/out plone).
>> Does this recipe create something in particular? A Plone instance?
>> A Plone software install?
> (correct me if I'm wrong hanno) currently it would create a zope
> instance w/ all the packages needed to create a plone instance(via the zmi.)

I have written a couple of recipes that used together can get you an
environment where you can create a Plone instance in the ZMI. So far
there are no Plone specific recipes. The only Plone specific thing at
the moment is the buildout.cfg found in ploneout.

Currently there's:

z2c.recipe.zope2install -- It will download either a tarball or checkout
a SVN branch, put it into parts and run 'setup.py build_ext -i' on it.

z2c.recipe.zope2instance -- This creates a Zope2 instance for you. You
give it a path to a Zope2 version, which it will call mkzopeinstance.py
from. There's a bunch of options that allow you to configure everything
from various zope.conf options, multiple products directories, ... and
it will create a zopectl like starter script in the buildout root bin
folder that'll let you run tests from it and start/stop the instance.
This recipe reuses zc.recipe.egg and is the only controversial in regard
to workingenv.

z2c.recipe.bundlecheckout -- You give this recipe an url and tell it
which vcs system it is (defaulting to svn, with support for cvs as well)
and it will checkout the url and put it into /parts.

z2c.recipe.distros -- And another one which you give an url to and it
will download an unpack a tarball into /parts. You can tell the recipe
that the tarball has a nested structure (so it will go down one level
and unpack that, this is useful for the CMF tarball for instance) or
that the folder inside the tarball has a version suffix (like
PluginRegistry does it for example).

Hanno