[Zope-dev] RFC: Eggifying Zope's extension mechanism ("Products")

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Jan 31 09:48:02 EST 2007

Daniel Nouri-3 wrote:

> BTW, compare the difference in size between that script[1] and
> ploneout[2].  I should mention that it does less than ploneout (it
> doesn't download Zope 2, but that'd be trivial to add) and it could be
> argued that it's less flexible for some definition of flexible.  (Sorry
> for being OT here.)
>

> [1] http://danielnouri.org/svn/scratch/Plone/trunk/install-plone.py
> [2] http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/trunk/

Well, I'd say that ploneout is only this big:
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/trunk/buildout.cfg

There are svn:externals to the products and eggs.

There are also generic recipes for installing zope 2 and setting up a zope 2
instance and downloading tarballs for products. These are basically this
big:

http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/trunk/src/z2c.recipe.zope2install/src/z2c/recipe/zope2install/__init__.py
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/trunk/src/z2c.recipe.zope2instance/src/z2c/recipe/zope2instance/__init__.py
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/trunk/src/z2c.recipe.distros/src/z2c/recipe/distros/__init__.py

Still a bit longer than your script, but not quite so scary. :) The zope 2
install recipe is the only one that's not mostly trivial (if you consider
shell and file operations trivial). That recipe tries to give you a lot of
flexibility to control what the instance (and thus the deployed
environment).

That said, I quite like your script as an example of using workingenv from
python to set this stuff up.

Martin