[Zope-dev] Re: [Bug] ZODB invalidation processing

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Fri Jun 1 09:25:05 EDT 2007

Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> some more findings:
>
> 1. The conflict error really happens on the Portalcatalog
> 2. It is a BTreesConflictError: BTrees conflict error at -1/47/47:
> Conflicting inserts which disguised as ConflictError, through the
> various try: excepts:
>
> 3. It happens on DateIndexes like "created" and "modified".
>
> 4. I put for a test:
>          try:
>              resolved = resolve(old, committed, newstate)
>          except:
>              return "invalidated"
>
> into tryToResolveConflict
>
> and into the store-method of FileStorage:
>
> if serial != cached_tid:
>       rdata = self.tryToResolveConflict(oid, cached_tid,serial, data)
>       if rdata is None:
>           raise POSException.ConflictError(oid=oid, serials=(cached_tid,
> serial), data=data)
>           elif rdata == "invalidated":  #new for test
>                old = False              #
>                pass                     #
>
> With these hacks I get rid of the conflictErrors. But when I delete the
> created Items I get:
> 2007-06-01 13:20:33 ERROR Zope.UnIndex DateIndex: unindex_object tried
> to retrieve set 1075379718 from index created but couldn't.  This should
> not happen.
> 2007-06-01 13:20:33 ERROR Zope.UnIndex DateIndex: unindex_object tried
> to retrieve set 1075379838 from index Date but couldn't.  This should
> not happen.
> 2007-06-01 13:20:33 ERROR Zope.UnIndex DateIndex: unindex_object tried
> to retrieve set 1075379719 from index modified but couldn't.  This
> should not happen.
>
> So obviously I just fix the symptom with this hack.
> I think the real cause:
>
> lies in these lines:
>
>              if old:
>                  cached_tid = self._get_cached_tid(oid)
>                  if cached_tid is None:
>                      h = self._read_data_header(old, oid)
>                      if h.version:
>                          if h.version != version:
>                              raise VersionLockError(oid, h.version)
>                          pnv = h.pnv
>                      cached_tid = h.tid
>
>                  if serial != cached_tid:
>                      rdata = self.tryToResolveConflict(oid,
> cached_tid,serial, data)
>
> Which is also supported by the fact, that on our live system
> which is running on 4 zeo-clients we get this traceback:
>

> 2007-06-01T12:38:59 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog
> http://uniben.waeup.org/campus/students/F541700/study_course/create_level
> Traceback (innermost last):
>    Module Zope2.App.startup, line 173, in zpublisher_exception_hook
>    Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 121, in publish
>    Module Zope2.App.startup, line 240, in commit
>    Module transaction._manager, line 96, in commit
>    Module Products.CPSCompat.PatchZODBTransaction, line 175, in commit
>    Module transaction._transaction, line 436, in _commitResources
>    Module ZODB.Connection, line 665, in tpc_vote
>    Module ZEO.ClientStorage, line 893, in tpc_vote
>    Module ZEO.ClientStorage, line 877, in _check_serials
> [...]

A workaround might be to replace the DateIndexes for 'created' and
'modified' with FieldIndexes:  you will see a big jump in the number of
keys in the index, but (perhaps) a reduction in conflicts (altheough
there will be more bucket splits, which can also cause conflicts).

A longer term solution might be to come up with a derived index type
which used non-persistent objects (rather than the IITreeSet used by
UnIndex) for the set of RIDs stored under each 'minute':  you could then
inspect the state and do more aggressive conflict resolution than the
stock implementation allows (see my other post).

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com