[Zope-dev] Early processing of request body (was: Proposal for optimized Blob handling)

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Wed Mar 7 23:40:34 EST 2007

On 3/7/07, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> Right. This optimization is about leveraging the fact that in many
> situations the upstream bandwith is *much* lower than the IO bandwith to
> the disk.
>
> Another condition that I have (and I think this is the general pattern)
> is that application threads should be given back to the pool as quickly
> as possible.
>
> If 5 seconds are spend in the application thread to untangle mime data
> which has nothing application-specific about it and then only 100ms or
> so in the application itself, I'd say there is a major overhead problem.

I had came to the same conclusion a couple weeks ago, somehow *wink*.
Maybe we've been influenced by the same person. :)

So if the uploaded file shouldn't be handled by the application
thread, neither by the IO layer, then I guess we need a 'upload
handling thread pool' of some sorts, whose sole purpose is to handle
incoming requests that are large before it gets to the application
thread while still outside the async IO layer.

Hopefully something similar could be done for files being sent *out*
of the application when they don't need any application processing
anymore (ie, Blobs!).

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214