[Zope-dev] Early processing of request body (was: Proposal for optimized Blob handling)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Mar 10 01:36:03 EST 2007

Christian Theune wrote at 2007-3-7 22:05 +0100:
>If 5 seconds are spend in the application thread to untangle mime data
>which has nothing application-specific about it and then only 100ms or
>so in the application itself, I'd say there is a major overhead problem.

But if the IO thread spends 5 seconds, then Zope will be unresponsive
for 5 seconds -- for me (and hopefully others, too) a far more
critical situation than a (single) worker spending 5 seconds...

The IO (ZServer) thread should only perform minimal work in its
"asyncore" callbacks -- each callback should return within
a few milliseconds.

My argument does not argue against different threads between
the IO thread and the worker threads, just against giving
the IO thread significant work (whether or not you consider it
application specific).

--
Dieter