[Zope-dev] Serious zope 2.x DST issue

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Mar 14 17:36:05 EDT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:16 PM, William Heymann wrote:

> I recently file this bug http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/2290
> however an
> error seems to have kept email notifications from being sent out.
> The issue
> is that DateTimeZone.py has the wrong changeover points for DST for
> the USA
> in it. This is used for all the DateTime zone conversions in
> DateTime so this
> is a fairly critical issue.

Yup.

> A new version of this file though can probably be
> used by nearly all the zope 2.x versions out there so once fixed it
> should be
> an easy patch. I just didn't want to change the numbers directly
> since I had
> hoped there was some automated tool that generated that file so I
> did not
> screw things up trying to modify it directly.

If you can figure out what to change, then go for it.  I don't know
what the format of that data is or how to modify it.  Unfortunately,
this is not generated automatically.  I imagine it is out of date for
other locales as well.

I was planning to look at this eventually. (I used some nasty hacks
in some of our older applications to get around this.)  I was
planning to rip out the current time-zone code and data and add logic
to use pytz:

   http://pytz.sourceforge.net/

I think this would be the better approach in the long, and probably
even medium, term.  I don't think I'll have time to work on this soon
though.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org