[Zope-dev] Re: Zope on Python 2.5?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 00:28:20 EDT 2007

Would it be possible to have a non-system python installed (by default
into /opt/python24) by the system python easy_install? I think it would be
useful to have eggs that provide commands on the path such as
easy_install_nonsystem24, virtualenv_nonsystem24, python_nonsystem24. With
a better spelling, of course.

Perhaps if non-system pythons were packaged in a way that setuptools could
install them, they might become ordinary dependencies of Zope/Plone eggs,
which could detect and configure to use them in a virtualenv at setup
time.

I don't know if setuptools is currently capable of installing packages
completely separate from the running environment, or executing another
python during setup. However, It seems to me that the most expedient way
to encourage widespread use of non-system python is to make them available
as a dependency for applications and frameworks that prefer them.

After my distribution (Gentoo) updated to python2.5, I made the overdue
switch to a buildout-based non-system python. I greatly appreciate the
fact that it has no packages installed and never changes, obliging me to
use buildout or virtualenv always.

I'd like to have the best-practice setup available as an easy_installable
package. On my distribution, tools are already available to package
complete/correct PyPI entries.

Thanks.