[Zope-dev] Re: [Checkins] SVN: zc.i18n/trunk/setup.py vb

Philipp von Weitersehausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Nov 3 16:24:41 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007, Benji York wrote:
>> Therefore, anyone editing the trunk version numbers needs add "dev" (no
>> hyphen) on the end.  Thanks.
>
> I just reread Jim's edict E-mail about the topic and noticed that I indeed
> missed the "dev" postfix. That changes nothing about the fact that I still
> think this is totally silly.

As far as I see (and apparently Jim, too, since he agreed to use this
policy) it's the best compromise between

- making sure that nobody creates releases from the trunk (hence the
"dev" marker)

- giving development eggs from the trunk or a release branch a
*meaningful* revision number (hence the version bump you find so silly)

Naturally I'm willing to listen to alternative suggestions.