[Zope-dev] Re: Egg install bot results

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Nov 14 08:38:10 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 6:05 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>>   - Figure out why buildout can (apparently) qsuccesfully install
>>>     dependencies of currently failing zope.* eggs while easy_install
>>>     can't.  I probably won't be able to do this.
>>
>> Because most buildouts specifically point to download.zope.org using
>> find-links (so that way the necessary egg that's missing from PyPI is
>> found), or they pin down the version of zope.traversing.
>
> They don't anymore. I removed the find-links in all the packages I
> touched
> while creating Zope 3.4.0b2, because distribution contains so many
> non-ready
> packages and would have overridden several of the KGS package
> versions.

So what makes this stuff work via buildout is all version-pinning
now?  Assuming you agree that packages released to the cheeseshop
should be installable via easy_install, if distribution dependencies
are version-pinned in a distribution's buildout.cfg, the same pin
should be done in the setup.py install_requires= for that
distribution. Otherwise running easy_install will never have the same
result as running buildout when it comes to fetching dependencies for
a particular distribution.  In general, buildout.cfg and setup.py
should share all dependency information, or the version-pin in
buildout.cfg should disappear.

- C