[Zope-dev] Re: Zope without Zope

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Nov 16 20:15:35 EST 2007

Rob Miller wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>> Well, I suggest you forget about ZCML and try to use the CA directly
>>> from Python. The Pylons people would probably appreciate the lack of
>>> XML anyway. :)
>
> i'd also recommend this.  i've actually been working on a pylons app that uses
> zope.component, it works like a dream.  zope.component brings in a total of 6
> eggs, IIRC.  if you really want zcml-like separation of config and code, then
> put your python configuration declarations in a separate module.
>
> this not only Just Works(tm), but i think lennart's point about not scaring
> people away w/ an XML-based config language is a huge one.

Depends on the people. At work, we're using Spring (which, as far as
Java goes, is great). The notion of having XML-based configuration gives
a lot of wins in certain types of applications - mostly around being
able to override "deployment" type settings in a staging or developer
environment.

In any case, I definitely see a case for both. I can't see a good reason
why we can't have support for simple XML-based component registration
without having to depend on the ZODB and tons of other Zope eggs.

I understand the historical reasons behind these dependencies, but I
genuinely think we should pick a few libraries that are "useful" to the
outside world (zope.interface, zope.component, zope.configuration,
zope.annotation, zope.event come to mind) and work to make these have
"clean" dependencies. We don't have to do it all at once, just try to
identify where there is a need (to me - using basic CA functions,
including externalised configuration). We should also market this, just
like Lennart did with his recent blog post (thanks Lennart!)

Otherwise, they are not usable outside "Zope-the-megaframework", in
which case, why are we doing all this eggification and attempting to
share the love? :)

Martin