[Zope-dev] Re: zope.traversing dependencies

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Wed Nov 21 04:58:24 EST 2007

Tres Seaver wrote:

> +100 to shedding the dependencies.  Could we have the conditional import
> work as a fallback to a utility lookup?  And then change
> 'zope.applicationcontrol' to register such a utility?

This should be possible, but the utility lookup would have to be
conditional as well since it would have to target
zope.app.applicationcontrol.interfaces.IApplicationControl which may not
be available either after the dependency on zope.app.applicationcontrol
has been lifted.

OTOH, if the application controller were to be registered as a utility,
should it stay importable from the module, at least for a transition
period? If zope.app.applicationcontrol.applicationController was removed,
would it be sufficient to adapt the zope.app.publication tests, or are
there other packages expected to break in that case?

Philosophically, when is it best to provide something like the application
controller as a global utility and when is it sufficient to bind it to a
name in a module?

--
Thomas