[Zope-dev] Re: zcml entry points

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Oct 22 10:33:40 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 10/20/07, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
> > Since this appears to be a rare case that is the exception, what about
> > using the new ZCML exclude framework for this case? You need to know
> > what you are doing, but this use case is for people who know exactly
> > what they're doing anyway, right?
>
> It isn't that rare:  how many people want to turn off the Rotterdam skin
> in Z3, for instance?  In general, the authors of a "library" package
> can't anticipate how their code will be used;  the ZCML they provide is
> intended to cover the cases they know or imagine most people want.
>
> ZCML represents policy, not mechanism, and hence is inherently less
> reusable than code.

I'd be nice if alternate policies could be expressed in the dependency
structure itself then.

This might imply that commonly-used policy ZCML should be in its own
package altogether. With automatic loading, you'd get this as soon as
you install the package.

If the policy is very particular to a particular application and has
no reuse potential at all, it has no business being in our repository
anyway (except as part of this application, of course).

Regards,

Martijn