[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/ Moved two implements declarations from Five into the proper classes.

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 05:57:11 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Log message for revision 80945:
>>   Moved two implements declarations from Five into the proper classes.
>
> I object to this change. HTTPRequest does not really fulfil the
> IBrowserRequest interface, and ObjectManager isn't a real IContainer
> either. I understand that somebody made a mistake when they declared
> them as such in the early days of Five. This is the reason we can't take
> it back. But, at least as a sign of the fact that they're not (yet) the
> real deal, this declaration has remained in ZCML.
>
> A sensible step forward would be to make HTTPRequest a full
> IBrowserRequest (we're getting there). As for ObjectManager, I think
> IContainer implies a couple of semantics (such as unicode names, the
> sending of events, etc.) that we should look closer at before deciding.

I've found the fact that ObjectManager implements IContainer to be a
problem in my application where I have a mixin implementing then
ObjectManager expectations by adapting to IContainer (this allows most
of my code to be zope 3 like with the zope 2 compatibility contained).
I've had to subclass IContainer and adapt to my subclass instead.

The only place I've run into problems using unicode names is in the
ZCatalog (or maybe CatalogTool) where there is a test that a name
isinstance str.

Laurence