[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/lib/python/DateTime/tests/testDateTime.py Fix test. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Oct 30 17:47:22 EDT 2007

Laurence Rowe wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>
>> --On 27. Oktober 2007 18:01:25 -0400 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>   >>> DateTime('2006-01-01')._tz
>>>   'US/Eastern'
>> Yeah, that's completely odd.
>
> But standards compliant. The previous behaviour was contrary to the
> specification. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
>
> "If no time zone information is given with a time, the time zone is
> assumed to be in some conventional local time zone."

When your users are scattered across the internet, there *is* no single
cnventional local time which will not surprise some / most of them;  the
timezone of the location in which the server happens to reside is
completely irrelevant to a user.

Zope has therefore adopted the convention that "local time" in Zope is
GMT for ISO-spelled strings (the "slash" form uses the OS-supplied
default timezone, again for backward-compatibility;  the ISO spelling
was added later).

>>> I strongly disagreed with the argument for that change
>>> (http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/2109), because it broke the
>>> semantics of the class, based on long-established use in Zope:  datetime
>>> strings which used ISO notation, but provided no explicit timezone, were
>>> assigned 'GMT+0' as the timezone.
>> Totally agreed.
>
> However if we must preserve this bug for backwards compatibility then we
> must. (This bugfix would not change the interpretation of existing pickles).

The issue is not about pickles, but about code, and user interfaces,
whose meanings have changed.

>>> (http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/2109),
>> Is this right issue? The URL redirection to LP points me to this:
>>
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope2/+bug/143701>
>>
>>> The trunk should be reverted to preserve the old behavior, which may be
>>> relied on by third-party applications.
>> Jup, either revert the change or fix it.
>>
>> Andreas
>
> 'Fixed' in r81213.

Thank you.

Tres.