[Zope-dev] Re: request.locale

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Sep 9 02:06:27 EDT 2007

Hanno Schlichting wrote at 2007-9-8 00:47 +0200:
>My suggestion on this would be to make request.locale available in Zope
>2.11. It would not be available through any of the other means like
>request['locale'] or request.form['locale'] but just as a simple
>property on the request itself.
>
>You would still be able to override it, but the set method for it would
>emit a deprecation warning telling you that you should not use this
>specific name anymore.
>
>The only backward incompatible change this would introduce from what I
>can tell is that checking for the presence of request.locale would
>suddenly give you a true value whereas it would have raised an error
>before. Given the unlikelihood of this and the major benefit of being
>able to use more unchanged Zope3 code, I personally would find this
>acceptable.

The backward incompatibility is a bit bigger:

  It arises when "locale" is used as a form variable or as a
  cookie (or used in "Request.set").

  Old code can assume that "request.XXXX" and
  "request['XXXX']" usually returns the same value, at least for 'locale'.

  This changes when you add "locale" as an attribute.

--
Dieter